Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, December 21, 2009

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Everyone knows the poem " 'Twas the Night Before Christmas"....and oddly enough, no one really knows who wrote it. It first appeared in the Troy Sentinel in 1823, and while a biblical scholar named Clement Moore "allowed" his name to be attached to it in 1837, it is unclear as to whether or not he actually wrote it.

Either way, here's my own twist on the poem. I hope you enjoy.....


Twas the night before Christmas, and here in our hut

Are three noisy children and a couple of mutts.

One stocking is missing, somewhere in Isaac’s mess

He snuck off with it a week ago, to make the cat a dress.

If we can get to bed by midnight, it will be a blessing

‘Tho I doubt that it will happen, as I’ve been really stressing.

I plan to go to Christmas mass, and sing a carol or two

Then come home to wrap some gifts, and pop open a brew.

Who knows, I may see Mr. Claus; he’d surely be a sight

After waiting for him, as a child, peering into the skies at night

He’d slide onto my roof, in his sleigh with ease and grace

I can hardly imagine what I’d do if I really saw his face.

I’d hear him silence the trampling hooves of his eight glorious pets

I’d wonder who’d believe this sight? Not too many, I would bet.

He’d come down my chimney, and with his booming “Ho Ho Ho”

I’d be certain he’d wake the children, then everyone would know

Of my rendezvous with ‘Ol Saint Nick; they’d all believe me then

But I may just keep it to myself, our secret meeting in the den.

With lightening speed, he’d place the gifts beneath our white-lit tree

I’d feel just like a child again, all eager and full of glee.

He’d eat his milk and cookies, left with love from the boys

He’d pat his jolly belly, and leave a few more toys.

He’d notice the sleeping baby, all snuggled at my chest

Then he’d wink and say “Good work, Mama, now you go get some rest.”

With a warmth in my heart and a new feeling of peace

I’d feel my eyelids slowly close, and finally give in to sleep.

Somewhere in the depths of my dream, I’d hear him packing up to leave

And I’d know that all those years it was true, the stories I’d believed.

For if we believe with the hearts of our children, no matter how absurd

There really is a Santa Claus, and then there are those words…

‘Tho I was fast asleep, I know I heard him call:

“Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!”…and then he exclaimed

As he flew out of sight “Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”

1 comment:

Powered By Blogger