Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Writer's Block

I have writer's block. I haven't written in almost a week, and it's because I can't really think of a good topic. It's not that nothing has happened around here. It's not that my children haven't said or done funny things....it's just that I think about writing and I realize my life is perhaps not that interesting.
So, here's what I'm gonna do: I'm going to write some random thoughts that weren't necessarily grand enough alone to develop into a posting. Maybe if you think they are, you can help me out. You can let me know if you'd like to hear more about it:

  • My sons were Joseph and a sheep for the church Christmas pageant on Sunday. I had nothing to do with this pageant, and was a little surprised to see Isaac emerging from the back room of the church looking more like a ninja than a poor, confused man who's virgin gal was about to give birth. I was admittedly less surprised when Gabe chose to be a barking and growling sheep. No shepherd could tame him.
  • Today is my husband's birthday. He wanted (brace yourself) strawberry cake. No, let's just be honest. He wanted strawberry cupcakes. With "strawberry mist" icing. Not something manly...like a mincemeat pie. Or even a generic little yellow cake. Nope. Pink and fluffy. So, that's what I made. And there are little pink fluffs all over my kitchen counter as I type. He has eaten four of them thus far. The good news is, perhaps he will be an ideal guest for my daughter's tea parties.
  • My baby girl, Ella, has chronic stomach issues. My son Gabe had the same issues. Gabe ended up hospitalized at seven months because of his problems. I pray this is not where I am headed with Ella. She just can't seem to digest food properly. She cries endlessly when a tummyache hits, which is increasingly frequent. Poor child.
  • I think about my grandmother constantly. I wonder if it means I have issues. Besides the issues I already know I have. My grandmother died five years ago, and I can't let go.
  • Speaking of my grandma, I'm having a big family Christmas party this coming Saturday. I am not sure why I took on such an event. There has already been so much controversy surrounding it; it will certainly provide me with resources for future blogs.
  • Speaking of controversy, a major one occured in my household on Saturday. I suggested we pick up my stepson and bring him to our house for the night. This would be my husband's son. This child's mother has convinced him that I am pure evil. This boy spoke to me worse than I think I've been spoken to in a long, long time, and the sad reality is that the words from his mouth weren't even his own. They were the coached words of his mother. Why do people do this to their kids? I could write an entire post on the things I've done to better this child's life. Anyway, he didn't end up spending the night. He couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle being in the house with me. I should include that the cheif reason for the problem is the religion his mother practices. They are Jehovah's Witnesses. While I'm not one to persecute other religions, I must admit to you it is taking all the willpower in my little fingertips not to tell you how I really feel about this religion and the choices that have been made in this boy's home. I realize I'm divulging juicy details about my life that maybe I wouldn't normally be okay with sharing. But I'm just in a juicy detail sharing sort of mood, I suppose. And no, I've not been drinking.
  • But (and yes, I realize that I sometimes begin sentences with conjunctions)...a glass of wine sounds mighty fine....after reading all the above, that is.

Cheers to you on this dreary night....

And please do stay tuned. I promise it'll get better.

4 comments:

  1. im sorry your grandma thoughts are so all consuming. do you think about her all the time, or is it just because its the holiday season?

    im so sorry about the situation with your stepson. its so so sad. i know how hard that can be. just keep doing what you're doing. eventually, when hes older, he'll see and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and you totally deserve that wine.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are thinking about grandma because this time of year seemed to be "HER" holiday. All the baking, potlucking, cardplaying, and family at her house. Christmas wasn't christmas until we were all at grandmas (and grandpa's too, but do you really remember him being there--except for his handing out of the money!) I think it is good that you are remembering her and trying to continue some traditions, in spite of the controversy! (which by the way, I haven't heard about so if you want to enlighten me.....you know my email!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a lot of good stuff to talk about in this post, but I couldn't really get past the strawberry cupcakes! You know that Aaron loves him some strawberry cake! Our husbands can be so gay sometimes!!! Love ya girl & remember that your grandmother is where we all want to be one day!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger