Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kickoff to Insanity

Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. My turkey browned nicely, thanks to a cheesecloth and more butter than a Sunday dinner at Paula Deen's. Our renovations in the house were finally completed and I have to say, it all looked beautiful, the table settings, the golden pies and the ample casseroles. After dinner, reality hits that someone has to clean this stuff up, and then resolve the age old challenge of leftovers. My husband is the world's worst leftover-eater, so he's no help. I'll make another "Thanksgiving plate" the day after, or maybe a turkey sandwich and maybe even the day after that, but then I'm officially sick of it all and I start digging through cookbooks to find interesting recipes to use up the leftover bird. Tonight's turkey tetrazzini.

Our friends were up from Tennessee and my best friend Tracey and I braved the stampede and forged a trail to Toys R' Us at dark and cold o'clock in the morning on Black Friday. I know why they call it "Black" Friday, and it has nothing to do with the economy. It's because the whole time you're gone shopping, the sky is still black, reminding me that the appropriate place to be is tucked warmly inside my bed, not waiting in a line amongst foul-mouthed teenagers who are bound to get sick, wearing next-to-nothing clothing in negative temperatures. All this just to get into a store that I could go to any other day of the year in the daylight, no lines. Hmm....perhaps I should shed light on the positive, the fact that there were really excellent deals, because I'm beginning to suggest I'm an idiot here. I'm trying to buy gifts that I think my children would really like. I find it all too easy to buy things just to fill a quantity, you know, like "I bought 3 things for Gabe so I've gotta have 3 things for Isaac." So I pre-planned, and I pretty well stuck to my list. I know it's silly to buy anything for a two month old, so Ella is getting 2 things that are significant, in my opinion: a Cabbage Patch newborn doll, and a 2009 Holiday Collector's Edition Barbie. I had one when I was little, and I just sold it a few months ago for a nice chunk of change. I figure she can do the same.
We arrived home from our excursion, a few coffees later, money spent and bodies tired. Too bad the kids were on full tilt, turning the house upside down and killing eachother, meaning we'd have to jump in as referrees when we really wanted to nap. I've learned that as soon as you become a mom, you're supposed to be able to sleep and wake on demand. It's not just when your kids are infants, it's forever. If they're awake, so am I, and if they sleep...well there's probably laundry to do.
So, friends, here we go, kicking off another holiday season. The decorations are out, the cookie cookbooks are pulled out and the carols are making way into my mental soundtrack. I've cursed about a strand of lights that never work, broken two ornaments, I've begun to start the annual nagging for my husband to get the outside decorations done, and threatened numerous tmes that "Santa sees everything, even when you try to pull your brother's arms off."
Here's to a cup of cheer.

1 comment:

  1. I loved shopping with my best friend on Black Friday & it was also fun to make comments about all the crazy people & how little they were dressed. Thanks for heading out despite cooking all day & then braving the cold & long lines. Miss ya! BTW Pioneer Woman just put a Turkey Pot Pie recipe up on her site!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger